Thursday, May 29, 2014

Critical Thinking Blog #8

            Throughout the course I have seen readings and theories of both humanities and science standpoint that ranged on a really wide spectrum, as some of the ideas brought up are all valid. It just makes me wonder which is the right way to live by? Do I live my life through scientific studies? Which can be proven. Or by humanitarian values which are always questioned as to what is right or wrong and is something more innate and felt inside the soul. I personally think I’ve broadened my views of the humanities and I’m more open to acknowledge that maybe there is something good about humans and the choices we make. For the most part though, I still abide by the scientific ideas and theories because that resonates more personally to me and seems more logical and much easier to understand. Also it’s more interesting to learn about.
            The world to me seems to blend more of the humanities as I felt empathy for people who put their lives at risk to create or discover new wonders of science. For example, Rosalind Franklin was a perfect example of how society is unfair and strips people of their recognitions based on discriminatory biases. She was the scientist who through hard work and long dedicated hours discovered the true structure of how DNA looked, but due to the fact that she was a woman who attended a school who frowned upon women scientists got, for lack of better words, screwed over and had her pictures secretly taken from her and she wasn’t given the recognition and Noble Prize that I feel she deserved.

            I think that the perils of science might have risks, but the reality that I envision is that more advanced and even genetically infused technology might be able to bring new hope for humanity. Hopefully diseases won’t be an issue if you can clone human beings. That means humans won’t have to worry about life being lost and maybe memories can be preserved and transferred. There are also the issues of the human souls and whether that is abusing this precious notion of the soul by replicated and getting rid of souls as fast as they’re made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment