Sunday, April 13, 2014

Critical Thinking Blog #1: Are You A Science or Humanities Person (Or Both)?

    Hi my name is Alexander Congiu. I'm a Psychology major at LaGuardia Community College and this will be my last semester as I hope to graduate with an Associates Degree and then attend Hunter College for my BA in psych. After that I plan to go to graduate school and even get my PhD in Clinical Psychology. In the meantime I need to accomplish one goal at a time. I also used to study Mechanical Engineering at City College. I did that for about 4 years only to decide that it wasn't meant for me or I'll be honest with myself and engineering is not what I expected it to be, but I still enjoyed the thought of being able to understand how world functions scientific theories.

   The question posed to me is a complicated one because I have a background in both humanitarian and scientific theories. I study psychology and have to learn to empathize with people, learn to listen, accept their problems and give them a solution that with benefit them. I also have very strong morals towards doing what's right and have a very guilty conscience if I know what I'm saying is against my principles, but I do value the idea of saying and doing things to benefit others lives. I also have a strong science background due to my engineering studies and know what life is to depend or accept science as the foundation to living. I love doing research and I love to discuss themes and topics based on concrete facts because it's easier to prove, but then again there's always that doubt that science can't explain the idea of a soul and that's something that can't be represented with science, but through human psychology. A person has to learn how to understand feelings and emotions and that's a very difficult thing to accomplish even with all the learnt knowledge one receives in higher education. So I struggle with deciding whether I'm a humanities or science person, but I can say that maybe I'm both. It just depends on the situation posed at the moment and what circumstance one would be better to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment